Thursday, April 24, 2008

12-1 Indeirect object pronouns

Expresses: to whom or for whom an action is done

ex: the indirect object answers this question: To whom does Gisèle speak? À qui parle Gisèle?
Gisèle parle à sa mère. Gisèle speaks to her mother.

me
te
lui

nous
vous
leur

Indirect object pronouns replace indirect object nouns.
... and know to understand that...
  • ex: Gisèle parle à sa mère. > Gisèle lui parle.
    • Gisèle speaks to her mother. > Gisèle speaks to her.
  • J'envoie de cadeaux à mes nièces. > Je leur envoie des cadeaux
    • I send gifts to my nieces > I send them gifts.
The indirect object pronoun usually precedes the conjugated verb.
  • ex: Antoine, je te parle. Antoine, I'm speaking to you
    • *a way to restate it maybe.. Antoine, I -to you- am speaking or think about recognizing the pronoun form and be able to skip it almost and put it in the end..
  • Notre père nous a envoyè un poème. Our father sent us a poem.
To make negative
  • place the indirect object pronoun between ne and the conjugated verb
    • ne - indirect object proundoun - conjugated verb.
  • ex: Antoine, je ne te parle. Antoine, I'm not speaking to you

No comments: